Monday, August 10, 2009

Interesting Theory

I'm reading a book, I think it's called "A Life Unburdened," about a man who lost 150 pounds. His theory is that because of sub-nutritious diets and food we eat, our bodies are constantly hungry for nutritients, which leads to overeating. Its an interesting theory. And if you consider that food affects our moods and sense of wellbeing, our diets are causing us to feel low and lack energy, which also leads to overeating and under-exercising. I can see the sense in his argument. I doubt eating well will override major emotional scars and clinical depression, etc. but I do think eating a better diet can alter one's moods.

So, I'm with the guy, I think better eating is beneficial and worth the effort of more cooking and prep time, having to go to more than one store for food, etc. The problem I come up against is HOW do I eat like that. I bought some produce at a farmer's market, organic (supposedly) and fresh local. I made a beef vegetable soup, which was really yummy. Tonight I made chicken salad for dinner. But, now what? And what about my salad, it was a bagged salad with fresh tomatoes and cucumber, but is the lettuce good enough? Probably not. And the chicken... do I have to buy organic, free-range chicken? Where do I buy it? And milk, eggs, yogurt... it gets to be overwhelming, both with regard to the costs and finding the best places to buy these things.

Tonight we had cake for my son's birthday. What about that? Would I have to make cake from scratch? From organic whole wheat flour and raw sugar?? That sounds extreme and difficult. I can make a boxed cake but that's probably no better than an already baked cake.

So, I'm sorta stuck between feeling that it makes sense that we should eat better foods, less processed, bleached and chemically derived food and more whole, natural food and not knowing how one goes about eating that way and can I afford it???

I guess it's rather like taking on any major life change, just change a little at a time. So, I can keep going to the farmer's market for fresh locally grown produce (which is no more expensive than grocery produce) and even fresh bread, which I found was also no more expensive, and avoid anything that is obviously over-processed. But just cuz it's organic doesn't mean its nutritionally superior, right? So, would there really be a difference between store-bought milk and organic milk? I think I'll just stick with the produce and bread for the moment. Maybe eat more beans and less meat, but I firmly believe we still need some meat, especially the kids.

If y'all know how to go about adding more whole foods into your diet, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment